Self care is something we’re seeing a lot of people talking about lately. It’s not a fad, it’s something you should be doing. Just taking a little time to yourself and saying a few affirmations will make you feel better in general. Right now the world is just crazy and I know it makes me feel a whole range of emotions when I look at what’s going on. If you don’t know where to start with self care, I have some ideas for you. Self care is meant for you to focus on YOU. If you take a little time to focus on you, you’ll be able to focus on others when that time comes.
Don’t look at how someone else does their self care and think you’re doing it wrong because you do it differently. Everybody is different, so there is no cookie-cutter way to do self care. It’s about YOU and what makes YOU feel lifted up. Some people don’t like a spa night, but they love a great hike.
Saying a little positive thing about yourself will help you push through the day, or even start the day off on a great foot. I know I beat myself up all the time. I have anxiety and deal with depression, so I’m always saying (in my head) I’m not good enough, that other person is better then me, I just suck. Affirmations will help you see the good in you, see what’s true about you! You can say these out loud to yourself in the mirror or get a small journal and write them down. Here’s a few ideas:
- Everything will get done
- My friends like me for who I am.
- I am funny.
- I have a great butt.
- I am intelligent
- I am not perfect and that’s okay.
- I love my body.
- I like me. I love me.
- I am beautiful.
- My thoughts matter.
- My feelings matter.
- I believe in me.
- I will stop thinking about past events.
- I am brave, bold and beautiful.
- I am in love with myself & my body.
- I am proud of myself.
- I am worthy.
- Today is going to be a good day.
- Today is a fresh day.
- I am talented.
- I am free of worry and regret.
- I am grateful for all I have.
- Today I will learn and grow.
- I was not made to give up.
- My possibilities are endless.
- I feel full of life.
- I am at peace with my past.
- I am a powerful BADASS!
There are a few types of affirmations – personality to friendship. Use whatever ones you need to. Make your own!
This is where the “time-out” for yourself comes in. These are just all small things you can do to care for yourself and just yourself for a little bit. You’re not being selfish when you do any of these things, you’re caring for yourself.
- Light your favorite candle (Where do I get my favorite candles? Kirkland’s!)
- Jam out! Make a playlist of your favorite songs and turn it up!
- Buy yourself (Or pick some) fresh flowers.
- Nail day – gather your favorite nail products and do your nails! (DashingDiva offers great nail strips, if you have a hard time painting your nails – like me!)
- Try a new hobby
- Walk in nature
- Spa day! (This is what I do every Saturday night!)
- Cook your favorite meal
- Watch your favorite movie with your favorite snacks
- Order food
- Clean out your wardrobe
- Draw or color
- Read a book
- Buy yourself something new
- DIY Project
- Create a seasonal bucket list
- Take a nap
- Hang out with your pet
- Call a friend
Remember, these are just suggestions. I hope these suggestions will help you find a way to take part in self-care. We all need to be happy and healthy this year!